Sweeter Than Oats is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
The Best Vegan Baked Potato Soup Recipe. There is NO food that is more comforting than a piping hot baked potato, dripping with vegan butter, melty (vegan) cheese and baked beans. Or perhaps you prefer yours fully loaded: spring onion, sour cream, bacon bits. The works.
A baked potato ALWAYS satisfies a craving for something that tastes like home. It is the plainest, simplest dish yet always tastes so good.
Until I visited America, I had no idea that some evil genius had turned my favourite sort-of convenience (if an hour in the oven is convenient) into a soup. And was that soup the best thing I have EVER tasted. It was creamy, comforting and had all the flavour of a baked potato, but in a soup? What an amazing idea! I loved Panera Bread, and all the delicious soups and breads, but sadly, they were not vegan.
I have slowly realised that my old favourites (you know, the ones loaded with non-animal friendly products like butter, cheese, bacon) aren’t to be relegated to the back of my memory, like an old-fashioned sweater or embarrassing family member. They CAN be recreated and, because of the plant-based ingredients, they are no longer stodgy and give you stomach ache, high cholesterol and/or weight gain: they taste lighter, more modern. More delicious. Here then is my easy and the best vegan baked potato soup recipe.
The Best Vegan Baked Potato Soup Recipe
- Large Pan
- 500 g Baked Potato, diced
- 200 g Diced Onion
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil or vegetable oil of your preference
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour (you can use Gluten-Free)
- 1 litre Vegetable Stock
- 500 ml Water
- 30 g Tapioca Starch or Cornflour
- 130 g Instant Mashed Potato powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Chopped Fresh Thyme
- 240 ml Vegan Sour Cream or Double Cream or Creme Fraiche Tofutti or Oatly are both great
- Fixings for the top: spring onions, tempeh crumbles, more sour cream
- Bake your potatoes. Dice and put to one side.
- Gently heat the oil in a large saucepan.Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the flour and mix until a roux has formed. Cook gently for a couple of minutes, to get rid of that floury taste.
- Add the stock, water, tapioca starch and instant mashed potato and simmer for 10minutes, until thick and creamy.
- Carefully stir in the diced baked potato, add the fresh Thyme and season to taste.Simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the thick cream. Taste once more for seasoning and serve, topped with your favourite baked potato fixins!