Sweeter Than Oats is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
How to make easy vegan Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake! Us Brits are a little bit wary of pumpkin. We don’t understand it totally and we really only use them to carve scary faces in for Hallowe’en. Read on for my recipe for vegan AND gluten free Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake and that will convert the most cynical of pumpkin haters!
The few times I have made Pumpkin Pie for a British Thanksgiving, it hasn’t exactly gone down a storm. I’m not sure why. I think it resembles an Egg Custard Tart, which is a common British pastry, found in bakeries across the land. Perhaps the colour is jarring, or maybe it’s because the spices are too stringent.
So, this year I had to find something that would satisfy everyone’s tooth. Couple this with someone who is gluten-intolerant and vegan and this was no simple task. This is my Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake Vegan and Gluten Free recipe!
Can you make vegan Pumpkin Pie?
Yes! The key element to a normal pumpkin pie is the eggy custard base, this is replaced with tofu, and is in fact so much easier to make, just blend and pour!
The original recipe uses a Flaxseed Pie Crust but I really love my cheesecake to have a biscuit crumb base, so I crushed up a packet each of Vegan AND Gluten-free Ginger Biscuits and Digestive Biscuits, melting them with a little vegan spread and pressing into a 9″ cake tin.
I also wanted to add a little traditional touch to the cheesecake so I added a vegan sour cream topping, baked right on top of the cooked cheesecake. This is an optional touch. The cheesecake will taste delicious with or without it.
As I had hoped, everyone loved it! The cheesecake had just the right amount of spice and the right amount of crumbly base and the vegan pumpkin pie filling had just the right amount of creaminess to satisfy everyone. It was so simple to make, and doesn’t really need anything to serve with it, maybe a little plant-based pouring cream for added richness. If you’re wondering how to make pumpkin pie from scratch, read on!
Recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake
- Rolling Pin
- 9" loose-bottomed Cake Tin
- Measuring Spoons/Cups/Scale
- Mixing Spoon
- 1 box Silken Tofu, drained
- 1 cup soft Brown Sugar
- 1 can pure Pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup Arrowroot or Tapioca Starch
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Allspice
- 3/4 tsp Nutmeg (preferably freshly grated but dried is ok)
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
- 150 g Ginger Biscuits (vegan/gluten free as your preference) finely crushed
- 150 g Digestive Biscuits finely crushed
- 50 g Vegan Spread melted
Sour Cream Topping (optional)
- 1 cup Tofutti Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Crush the biscuits until they resemble sand.
- In a small saucepan, gently melt the spread. Add the biscuits crumbs and stir well until coated and stick together when you press them lightly. You may need to add a little more spread to the mixture.
- Press crumb mixture firmly into a 9"loose-bottomed cake tin.
- In a blender, or by hand, mix together all the ingredients for the cheesecake filling until smooth. Pour into the cake tin, over the biscuit base.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the sour cream topping, until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven, turn up to 200c.
- Pour the sour cream mixture over the baked cheesecake and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly at room temperature and then chill overnight.
- Dust with a little icing sugar (optional) cut into slices and wow your guests!